It’s a commonly used question 7 out of 10 pet owners ask about this Is chocolate is harmful to dogs? Or how much is harmful.

Is chocolate is harmful to dogs?
Is chocolate is harmful to dogs?

So first of all why we adopt a puppy because we love to care or love to spend time with our loved one.

That’s the main difference that people is sweet is harmful to dogs or is chocolate is harmful to dogs?

Our sociology is different or the digestive system is different and we all are different in all terms of aspect.

Now how much sweet is good or bad for dogs or how much chocolate is good or bad for dogs.

Is chocolate is harmful to dogs? So the answer is yes, chocolate is harmful to dogs because

if you are confused about which one you buy male or female

Is chocolate is harmful to dogs?
Is chocolate is harmful to dogs?

These are the 10 reasons why chocolate is harmful to dogs or how much sweet is good for dogs or bad.

Why Chocolate Can Be Poisonous for Your Dog

  • The toxic component present in chocolate is theobromine and it’s dangerous for dogs and chocolate is harmful to dogs.
  • Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system and it can affect your dog health.
  • A small pinch of chocolate or sweet will probably only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting, diarrhea or some basic stomach issues.
  • With large amounts, theobromine can produce muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, and many other problems.
  • internal bleeding or a heart attack. The onset of theobromine poisoning is usually marked by severe hyperactivity and this is very harmful.
  • A big sized dog can consume more chocolate than a small size dog before suffering ill effects because his metabolism is strong.
  • Different types of chocolate contain different ingredients and different amounts of theobromine: It would take 22 ounces of milk chocolate to kill a 25-pound dog.
  • but only 2.3 ounces of baker’s rich chocolate or 7 ounces of semisweet chocolate can finish the dog.
  • It is not that hard for a dog to get into something like an Easter basket full of chocolate eggs and bunnies and gobble up a pound or two of chocolate.
  • If the dog is small, that could be much deadly for your dog.
  • It turns out that chocolate poisoning is not as unusual as it sounds. It could be more harmful.
  • For a human being, caffeine is toxic at levels of 150 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight That’s the same as for dogs.
is chocolate is dangerous for dogs?
is chocolate is dangerous for dogs?

Is chocolate is harmful to dogs? it’s depends on many factors like the types of chocolate.

Chocolate types

Different types of chocolate have varying amounts of theobromine in them; generally, the more cocoa solids contained in a product,

The more theobromine will be present and the more dangerous the item is for your dog.

The amount of theobromine in different chocolate types is shown below in milligrams (mg) of theobromine per gram of chocolate:-

  • Cooking or baking chocolate (dark) – 16mg per gramme
  • Dark chocolate – 5.5mg per gramme
  • Milk chocolate – 2.4mg per gramme
  • White chocolate – 0.01mg per gramme

The amount of theobromine that is fatal for dogs is given as between 100 and 250 mg per kg of the dog’s body weight. So if your dog weights only 10kg, as little as 60-70g of cooking chocolate could be fatal.

This is not very much chocolate!  With milk chocolate, the same dog would need to eat around 500g. White chocolate contains very little theobromine, and toxicity is unlikely, but if your dog eats a lot of it there may still be signs of gastrointestinal upset.

chocolate is harmful to your dogs and these are the Signs your dog may show

is chocolate is dangerous for dogs?
is chocolate is dangerous for dogs?

Signs of chocolate toxicity are usually seen within 2 to 4 hours of your dog eating the chocolate. The signs that you see will depend on the quantity of theobromine that has been eaten.

Higher Doses

Vomiting and diarrhea as above.

Nervous system signs including restlessness, panting, muscle stiffness, uncoordinated movement, seizures (‘fits’), and in very severe cases, loss of consciousness.

The heart can also be affected at higher doses; heart rate increases and your dog may also suffer from irregular heart rhythm.

All of these symptoms can cause serious problems for your dog, and require assessment and treatment by your vet.

If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, call your vet immediately. They will ask you questions as to how much and what type of chocolate your dog has eaten and is likely to want to see your pet immediately for assessment and supportive treatment.

What your vet may do

When you take your dog into the surgery, the treatment he receives will depend on the amount of chocolate eaten and the symptoms being shown.

Initial treatment involves removing the chocolate from your dog and decreasing the absorption of the toxins in your pet’s intestinal tract. So your vet may:-

  • Cause your dog to vomit to remove the remaining chocolate
  • Give your dog activated charcoal to decrease further absorption in the gut
  • Put your pet on a drip to maintain circulating blood volume and encourage excretion of toxins in the urine.
  • If neurological signs such as seizures are present these will be treated as a matter of urgency
  • Where your dog’s heart shows a dangerously fast rate or rhythm abnormality, these will also be addressed with medication.

What is chocolate poisoning?

Chocolate poisoning occurs when a dog eats more theobromine than their system can cope with.

On average, 20mg of theobromine for each kilogram of your dog’s body weight is enough to start making them unwell.

Your dog doesn’t necessarily need to eat a lot of chocolate to feel the effects – good quality chocolate is high in theobromine so even a small amount can do them harm.

The average amounts of theobromine in a 25g serving of chocolate are:

  • Milk chocolate: 44-64mg
  • Dark chocolate: 150-160mg
  • Unsweetened (baking) chocolate: 390-450mg
  • Cocoa powder: 800mg
  • White chocolate: trace

Can some dogs eat chocolate?

Ever heard fellow dog-owners talk about dogs eating chocolate with no problems?

A lack of reaction is pure luck. Some dogs can tolerate small amounts of theobromine but there’s no way of knowing if your dog is one of them. The type of chocolate – and even the brand – can make a difference.

So even if your dog’s had chocolate before, don’t assume they’ll react the same way again. To be safe, we recommend not giving any at all. Specially-made indulgent dog treats are a safer way to show your dog some love.

So I think that it would be clear for you that you will never share chocolate with your pet in the future keep your dog healthy and your bonding happy.


Hi, I am Sumedha, a veterinarian and a passionate dog lover. I have certificates and experience in dogs care, grooming, health tips, and care. Feel free to ask any queries. Our Team research and update the information every day.

1 Comment

  1. phone interview questions Reply

    We stumbled over here by a different website and thought I might as well check things out.
    I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to
    checking out your web page yet again.

Write A Comment