Whenever a business plans to improve its technology, the software development process seems to be very challenging. Luckily software outsourcing can help in this regard.
Software outsourcing is a broad term and there are different models in it. The main concept is that a business works with an outside company or a team to complete a single project or different projects. While choosing the right outsourcing model, you need to evaluate your business needs and some other factors like budget, timeline, and expertise.
There are three software development outsourcing models:
- Staff Augmentation
- Delivery Team Model
- Dedicated Teams
1. IT Staff Augmentation
In the IT staff augmentation model, the outsourcing company provides the vetted developers to work along with the in-house team. This means that a business doesn’t need to hire Ruby on Rails developers or any other developer themselves.
IT staff augmentation is an ideal solution for businesses looking for additional experts to complete the projects. It is an adaptable model and can be used for different projects. Any business can scale up or down the team via staff augmentation according to the requirements.
The outsourced team members do everything just like an in-house team, including attending meetings, checking in daily, and reporting to the managers.
- It is an ideal solution for short-term projects where there is a need for some specific skill set.
- Staff augmentation helps when the project needs flexibility in terms of adaptability and size.
- This model is affordable, effective, and time-saving. It gives access to the global talent pool.
2. Delivery Team Model
In this model, a software development outsourcing company assembles software developers to deliver tech expertise, adding value to businesses and projects. It is a suitable model for projects that need complete management from the outsourcing partner.
Businesses with limited capacity and internal teams usually opt for this model. In this approach, the outsourcing partner is responsible for providing technology experts for all the roles of a dedicated development team. That might include quality assurance (QA) engineers, software developers, project managers, or any other resources needed to complete the project effectively.
There are many benefits of the delivery team model:
- The outsourced teams increase capacity and decrease the burden on the business by taking full responsibility for a project.
- Outsourcing partner manages the teams and assembles them quickly, adding value immediately. The business gets access to highly skilled professionals who don’t need any other training.
- The business has overall control of the project and makes all the major decisions. The outsourcing team just performs the daily tasks.
- Businesses get access to top talent from around the world and around the clock.
3. Dedicated Teams
In this model, an outside software development team helps in the whole development process from the beginning to the end.
The team works independently and there are engineers, UX designers, software developers, product managers, and more. All of them work dedicatedly to manage the software development process. It means businesses can utilize the required resources and achieve their goals.
The dedicated team model is perfect for long-term projects, where there is a need for full-time commitment from the outsourced team. Businesses can also opt for it when they want a united team apart from different teams working independently.
- With the dedicated team model, businesses get more control over the project.
- This model facilitates better communication and there is a higher commitment.
Software outsourcing models are beneficial for businesses, no matter the niche or industry. Whether you want an external company with the right expertise to complete your project from start to finish or need additional experts to increase the size of your team, outsourcing provides the ideal solution that works for you.